Waterbury Hospital Over the Years
Here’s a glance at major milestones over Waterbury Hospital’s 125-year history, from its humble beginnings to the present 360,000-square-foot facility it is today with 176 staffed beds and about 2,000 employees:
J. Henry Morrow, editor and publisher of weekly newspaper The Republican, writes an editorial headlined “Waterbury’s Pressing Need — A Hospital.”
Waterbury Hospital is granted a charter of incorporation. Fundraising efforts to acquire property and equipment and open hospital begin.
Waterbury Hospital opens in the Wilson House on Riverside Street, a Victorian- style mansion owned by inventor A.B. Wilson. It is staffed by a matron, two nurses, four nursing students, an orderly, a cook, a laundress and a janitor. The 30bed facility received its first patient — Frederick Siebert, a Waterbury upholsterer with pneumonia — on Jan. 28. The first surgery was performed on Patrick Fitzpatrick, a farm hand whose eye had been gored by an ox. The hospital cared for 85 patients its first year.
The main building of the present-day hospital opens with 75 beds. It cared for 477 patients with an average length stay of 22 days that year.
The hospital’s Peck Wing opens thanks to a donation from Henry H. Peck, a banker, merchant-prince and philanthropist who toured the facility on opening day in 1890.
The hospital’s North Wing opens. By that time, the hospital had 310 beds and cared for more than 5,000 patients that year.
The hospital breaks ground for its West Wing, completed in 1953.
The hospital’s Pomeroy Pavilion, which houses the patient floors and operating rooms, opens after three years of construction.
Ground is broken for a $3.6 million project to renovate the hospital’s emergency room, build separate entrances to the emergency room and Chase Clinic and expand laundry area
Hospital adds landing pad for medical helicopter.
Hospital opens satellite offices for physicians in Naugatuck, Thomaston and Southbury. A five-year capital campaign begins to raise money for $26.8 million renovation and modernization of several departments.
Fire destroys psychiatric day hospital on hospital grounds.
Hospital opens Children’s Center at 172 Grandview Ave. in Waterbury.
The hospital’s Reed Ambulatory Surgery Center opens. The Harold Leever Regional Cancer Center opens at 1075 Chase Parkway in collaboration with Saint Mary’s Hospital.
Alliance Medical Group, a group of physicians affiliated with the hospital, opens at 1624 Straits Turnpike in Middlebury.
The Heart Center of Greater Waterbury opens at 1075 Chase Parkway in Waterbury in collaboration with Saint Mary’s Hospital.
Cardiology Associates of Greater Waterbury opens at 455 Chase Parkway in Waterbury.
Prospect Medical Group of Los Angeles sign letter of intent to buy Waterbury Health.
Source: Waterbury Hospital
The Wilson House on Riverside Street in 1890, the year it became the original site for Waterbury Hospital. It was destroyed in the Flood of 1955.
An ambulance driver and paramedic stand in front of a 1920 ambulance owned by Waterbury Hospital.
Maintenance workers at Waterbury Hospital install a sign in 1969 marking the future site of the hospital’s Pomeroy Pavilion, finished in 1972.